Latest Overwatch PTR Patch Finally Fixes Those Doomfist Issues
Blizzard has announced a new Overwatch PTR patch that is focused on fixing bugs related to Doomfist. The offensive hero was released in July, bringing a lot of damage along with him. However, players have reported fixes were needed to address important mechanics related to his rocket punch, seismic slam, and other abilities of the Talon member. While not all issues are addressed in this patch, they have announced fixes that have been implemented, items they are still working on, and other factors being investigated.
Geoff Goodman, who is the principle designer, in addition to the Overwatch PTR patch also recognized the importance of player feedback and addressing issues found:
We also have heard your feedback that you’d like to see more details about bug fixes in our patch notes, instead of just tuning changes and features. We’re going to work on this, so starting next patch there will be more detailed information on this kind of stuff. Thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming, especially if you get a chance to play on the PTR and test out these changes.”
Below are the notes from the latest Overwatch PTR patch from the Blizzard forum:
Fixes that have been implemented
- Wall slamming should be much improved. The wall slamming logic has also been simplified so players should find that a 45 degree impact angle is the cutoff between the target being slammed into the wall, or sliding off. This is the biggest change that should be noticeable instantly.
- Rocket Punch now breaks breakables again. Not only was the bug fixed that caused it to no longer break breakables, but the system we have in place now should break them much more consistently than before.
- Seismic Slam being canceled when landing too close to a wall should be fixed.
- Seismic Slam will now ‘slide’ a small ways up ramps instead of instantly triggering. Winston’s leap has also changed in the same way. The slide distance is manually tuned so let us know if it seems like he is sliding up ramps too much or too little.
Items Blizzard is still working on
- Seismic Slam has a bug when you or your target is near a corner, it will sometimes not find them as a valid target. We have identified this bug but it is going to take a little longer to get a fix in place.
- Ghost punches. This is an issue where you Rocket Punch and go through an enemy, instead of impact them. Some of these reports are latency related, but we did find an issue that was causing this to come up beyond just typical networking issues. Hopefully we’ll get in a fix in soon.
- Corner bounce. This happens if you use Rocket Punch near a corner or edge, and it causes you to ‘bounce’ off and slide quite a ways away, probably messing up your punch. This is a recent bug caused by a seemingly unrelated change. We have identified why this can happen though, and are working on a fix for it.
Issues still being investigated
- Rocket punch vs. Rocket Punch/Charge. We get reports that it can feel really ‘random’ what happens when 2 Doomfists using Rocket Punch hit each other, or a Reinhardt using charge hits a Doomfist that is Rocket Punching. We’re still gathering data and information on this one, and hope to be able to improve the consistency of situation. The intended result is that both players should fall over, much in the same way that two Reinhardts charging into each other knocks both of them down.
- Aerial Seismic Slam sometimes causing Grounded Seismic Slam. We’ve gotten reports of people being up in the air and using Seismic Slam sometimes triggering the ‘Grounded’ version instead of the ‘Aerial’ version. This one seems really rare so its pretty hard to track down, but we’re looking into it.
What do you think about the latest Overwatch PTR patch? Do you think this will address all the issues related to Doomfist? Sound off with your thoughts in the comment section below, and don’t forget to check out DFTG on Twitter for gaming and entertainment news live 24/7!
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out more from Don’t Feed the Gamers:
- New Fallout 4 Mod Seeks To Recreate New Vegas In Total Conversion (VIDEO)
- New BB8 Skyrim Mod Makes The Droid Your New Companion (VIDEO)
- Winner, Winner Chicken Dinners For Charity! PUBG Winter Charity For $200K Details Here!
- Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Launch Trailer Reveals New Info On Raid Lair, Loot, & More (VIDEO)
Matt Ruppert624 Posts
Navy Veteran with a penchant for the FPS genre, Chewy has all aspects of the gaming community covered. Don't expect to see him on a console any time soon, however - though he has experience in all platforms, the PC Master Race has a firm hold on him.