PS5 Games Won’t Support DualShock 4 Controllers, Sony Confirms
Though an official release date for the PS5 and Xbox Series X hasn’t been revealed as of yet, gamers eagerly await the launch of gaming’s next generation this holiday season. Along with the main showstopper, each console will have their own peripherals and add-ons, including controllers, headsets, and more. With the PS5, however, some current generation hardware may not be forward compatible.
In a recent PlayStation Blog post, Sony confirmed details on the upcoming licensed peripherals and which will be compatible moving forward and how. Below are a few current PS4 accessories that will:
Compatible PS4 Accessories/Peripherals For PS5
- Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
- The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
- The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
- Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
Additionally, the PlayStation camera is compatible with the PS5, but it will require an adapter. Thankfully, it will be provided to PS VR users at no extra costs. Details on that will be provided at a later date, Sony mentioned.
With that said, Sony mentioned that “not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5” and recommends checking with manufacturers to ensure that the product is functional moving forward. Unfortunately, DualShock 4 controllers doesn’t make that list. “We believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller,” Sony explained.
As we slowly approach the holiday season, there will be more information on the PS5 to come and we can’t wait to see what else the next generation console will bring.
Which next-generation console are you going to purchase – the PS5 or the Xbox Series X? Perhaps both or neither? Let us know what you think in the comments section below or start a conversation on Don’t Feed the Gamers Facebook page. To stay up to date on gaming and entertainment news as it happens, follow us on Twitter! Here are some of our latest:
- Silent Hill Tweet Excites Fans, Konami Responds With “Easy There”
- PlayStation State Of Play Announced For Later This Week
- Guilty Gear Strive Confirmed For PlayStation 5, Steam (VIDEO)
- Ghost Of Tsushima Weather Changes Depending On Your Playstyle
If you enjoy this writer’s work, please consider supporting them by tossing a Ko-fi their way! Every little bit helps and aims to keep DFTG independent and free of bias. Thank you so much for your support.
Hoi Duong2131 Posts
Hoi is an elusive figure at DFTG, whose favorite past-times include chillin' in the Fade, reading manga, watching anime, collecting novelty items, and gaming.