New Steam Update Brings Back ‘Small Mode,’ Numerous Library Tweaks
Many folks that remember the old days of Steam will likely recall the blissful simplicity of the platform’s Small Mode. Boasting precisely zero frills and offering a full list of a user’s games without any grandiose exaggerations, Small Mode unfortunately disappeared for a time. Thankfully, Small Mode is officially back thanks to the latest Steam update.
Valve announced the details of its latest Steam Update over on the official forums, with the Steam Client Beta getting first dibs while any bugs are sorted out. Right at the top of the update notes is a line stating that Valve “brought back Small Mode Library view” and that it has been updated to work with Steam Collections and the new Steam Library. Here are the full Steam Update notes for those interested:
- Brought back Small Mode library view and updated to work with Steam Collections and the new Steam Library
- Added a library setting to hide game icons in the Steam Library’s left column game list
- Fixed download progress bar and status wrapping to a second line on game pages on smaller windows
- Compressed game page links bar to one line on smaller Steam windows
- Post-game summary, game review reminder and other dynamic content on game pages will now fill only one column on wider Steam windows
- Fixed occasional crashes caused when uninstalling games
- Fixed Steam client crash after exiting some AutoCloud-enabled games
- Fixed a case where game icons would sometimes not properly be downloaded and used for the game’s desktop shortcut when installing a game. For for previously installed games affected by the problem, validating game contents and recreating the shortcuts should fix the issue.
- Removed auto-creation of Documents/Downloads directory.
- Updated vaapi decoding to libva2 compatibility
- Fixes to free disk space checks to address issues with some NFS mounts
- Fixed Steam Input F12 binding
So, thoughts on the latest Steam Update? Plan on using Small Mode now that it’s coming back? Let us know in the comments section below, and as always, stay tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers for all the latest gaming and entertainment news! Don’t forget to follow DFTG on Twitter for our 24/7 news feed!
Ryan "Cinna" Carrier1984 Posts
Ryan is an editor and writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he isn't reading and writing, Ryan is likely considering yet another playthrough of Final Fantasy IX. He's also the DFTG cinnamon bun.