Pokemon GO Developer Launches COVID-19 Relief Initiative
COVID-19 has made a major impact on the lives of everyone regardless of whether they like it or not. In order to help companies stay afloat in these trying times, Pokemon GO has stepped up to the plate giving some support in the form of donations and various events that give them a chance to make enough to survive.
Earlier this year, Pokemon GO developer Niantic announced that they would be spreading their support to local businesses by nominations from within various communities around the world. These businesses would then become a special type of Pokéstop or gym, allowing the businesses to take advantage of various tools to help them draw in customers playing the game. After a multitude of nominations, the developers revealed in a recent blog post that they have finally narrowed the list down the official final candidates and the initiative is launching in full. Here are a few of the businesses that will be featured in the game:
- F.M. Light & Sons, a family-owned Western wear and apparel store in Steamboat Springs, Colorado that’s been operating since 1905.
- CIBER LEKAR, a game and hobby shop in Guanajuato, Mexico owned by a husband and wife team who are very involved with the local Pokémon GO community.
- Blitzkrieg Chop, an inclusive hair shop in Worthing, West Sussex U.K. that serves the local alt, punk and nerd communities by hosting Pokémon GO community days, art pop-ups and offers free head-shavings for charity.
- Five Girls Baking, a family-run bakery and cafe in Liverpool, Nova Scotia, Canada that’s been supporting its community during the pandemic with free bread for those in need.
Pokemon GO is currently available for Android and iOS. Let us know your thoughts on Niantic’s contribution to helping in this current crisis and more in the comments section below. As always, don’t forget to follow Don’t Feed the Gamers on Twitter for 24/7 coverage of all things gaming and entertainment.
- Ghost Of Tsushima Reveals Legends DLC Release Date, New Game+ Details
- PS5 Hands-On Confirms Its Cooling Fans Run Silently After Extended Use
- PS5 Will Change ‘X’ To Default Confirm Button In Japan
If you enjoy this writer’s work, please consider supporting them by tossing a KoFi their way! Every little bit helps and aims to keep DFTG independent and free of bias. Thank you so much for your support! Chris “Yippee” Calles @KoFi
Chris Calles1560 Posts
Known as "Stash" or Yippee Calles. He's a student of everything, avid adrenaline junkie, and creator of random things. When he's not delving into a game, book, or movie - He's out teaching himself new things or taking part in some pretty epic adventures. You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr.