Doom 2 Mod Brings Battle Royale To The Classic FPS (VIDEO)
It would be an understatement to say that the battle royale genre has taken the gaming landscape by storm these past few years, with celebrities and streamers alike getting together to play games like Fortnite and PUBG. While developers nowadays are doing their best to take advantage of the battle royale hype, one clever modder has taken a step back in time to implement such a mode into classic fps Doom 2.
Currently in development over on Moddb, the Doom 2 mod – appropriately titled Doom Royale (With Cheese) – will feature a shrinking play area, random weapon drops, and power-ups to help players win the Royale with Cheese (yes Pulp Fiction fans, we see you). Mod creator Retrodex Gaming recently released a video of his mod in action, which can be seen below:
The release date for the Doom 2 mod is currently to be determined, though the creator has detailed some of the upcoming features – and what has been completed so far – in a recent post to provide fans with a taste of what’s to come. Here’s what they had to say:
What I can tell you so far!
- Doom Royale will take place on a large map featuring Ultimate Doom buildings from across E1.
- All areas will be accessible from the start, no keys required.
- Death is not the end…
- Only one person can win the coveted Royale with Cheese!
What is done so far…
- The scoring system works, and the winner is announced to the server.
- A small number of bots are spawned in low server traffic times.
- Random weapon spawns, ammo spawns and random power-ups are spawned across the map.
- Post-death gameplay is in place!
Those looking to try the mod out once it is finished will need Zandronum 3.0, which can be found right here.
So, thoughts on the upcoming Doom 2 mod? Plan on giving it a try once it is completed? Let us know in the comments section below, and as always, stay tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers for all the latest gaming and entertainment news! Don’t forget to follow DFTG on Twitter for our 24/7 news feed!
Ryan "Cinna" Carrier2419 Posts
Ryan is a writer and the head editor for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he isn't writing, Ryan is likely considering yet another playthrough of Final Fantasy IX. He's also the DFTG cinnamon bun.