New Valheim Patch Focuses On Dedicated Servers
Iron Gate Studio’s Viking survival adventure Valheim has taken the gaming world by storm over the past month. The game surpassed four million sales on Steam just last week, and while the players are having a ball searching for the in-game trader, fighting off trolls, and much more, the devs are still hard at work improving the experience. Speaking of which, a new patch has arrived to improve the dedicated server situation.
Taking to the game’s Steam page, the developers at Iron Gate released the patch notes for the latest update to come to Valheim. As they point out in the post, the patch contains “some huge changes to dedicated servers.” Instead of relying on Steam Datagram Relay (SDR), dedicated servers will now use direct connections, which will allow for lower latency for most players. In addition to this, Valve is also working on fixes for the SDR system, which is still being used for those connecting to non-dedicated servers.
Of course, the new Valheim patch doesn’t focus solely on server issues. You can find the full patch notes for build 0.147.3 below:
- Localization updates
- Made Haldor head-turn smoother
- Object network interpolation is skipped if object was far away, solved issue with network players flying through the air when entering dungeons & exiting portals etc
- Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers
- Join IP-button updated to allow for lan-connections (dedicated servers only) & added DNS support
- Dedicated servers use directIP connection instead of SDR, solves issues with slow steam relays in some areas of the world
- Bonemass puke-effect network fix
- Updated Dedicated-server PDF manual
- Prevent pickup items when entering portals
- Lowered wolf procreation slightly
- Lowered chance of boss trophy talking
Valheim is currently available in Early Access on PC via Steam. Keep it tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers as this story develops, and for other gaming goodness going on right now, check out the following:
- Pokémon 25: The Album Will Feature Katy Perry, J Balvin and Post Malone (VIDEO)
- New Need For Speed Delayed As Criterion Shifts Gears Over To Battlefield 6
- PS5 Storage Expansion Support Reportedly Going Live This Summer
What say you, gamers? Are you excited to see where Valheim will be six months from now? Will it be able to keep up the momentum, or will the wind blow the sails elsewhere? Sound off in the comments section below, and be sure to follow DFTG on Twitter for live gaming and entertainment news 24/7!
If you enjoy this writer’s work, please consider supporting them by tossing a KoFi their way! Every little bit helps and aims to keep DFTG independent and free of bias. Thank you so much for your support! Eric ‘anarkE7’ Garrett @ KoFi
Eric Garrett2269 Posts
Eric is an editor and writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he is not staring at a computer screen filled with text, he is usually staring at a computer screen filled with controllable animations. Today's youth call this gaming. He also likes to shoot things. With a camera, of course.