Marvel’s Avengers Reveals New “Heroics” Gameplay Mechanic
As divisive as it has been since its big reveal earlier this year, the upcoming release of Crystal Dynamics’ Marvel’s Avengers is as inevitable as Thanos himself. Now, the developer has unveiled the existence of a new “Heroics” mechanic that will allow players to execute powerful special moves as their favorite Avengers.
Crystal Dynamics detailed the newly revealed gameplay mechanic in a series of tweets through the official Marvel’s Avengers Twitter account. According to the developer, Heroics are special attacks – which each Avenger has three of – that can be activated for an insane power spike. Here’s the brief clip of one of Captain America’s Heroics in action, followed by the bullet points from the developer:
In addition to each Super Hero’s unique combat style & an in-depth combo system, Marvel’s Avengers features special attacks called Heroics. pic.twitter.com/DtZSbTjn9a
— Marvel’s Avengers (@PlayAvengers) September 1, 2019
- Each Avenger has three Heroics – support, assault, and ultimate – that operate on a cooldown timer. Read below for details on Cap’s Heroics, and yes, we’ve included some epic shield throwing…
- Support Heroics benefit the player & the team. Captain America’s support heroic causes all targets hit by the Captain to temp become marked as priority targets for the entire team. Heroes who attack his marked targets benefit from increased damage/health regeneration.
- Captain America throws his shield with devastating force when the player activates his assault heroic. Automatically seeking out up to 5 targets, Cap’s shield will ricochet quickly between enemies & cause a significant amount of stun and attack damage on every hit.
- Activating Cap’s ultimate heroic – Brooklyn Brawl – will slam his shield into the ground causing a massive Vibranium shockwave, sending most enemies flying. For a short duration after activation, Captain America’s attack damage, impact, & defense will be greatly increased.
- Heroic attacks, like many aspects of each hero’s unique playstyle, can also be tweaked, specialized & improved through a robust gear & skill progression system that allows players the opportunity to make every hero their own.
Marvel’s Avengers launches for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Stadia on May 15, 2020.
So, thoughts on the new Heroics mechanic? Let us know in the comments section below, and as always, stay tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers for all the latest gaming and entertainment news! Don’t forget to follow DFTG on Twitter for our 24/7 news feed!
Ryan "Cinna" Carrier2482 Posts
Ryan is the Lead Editor for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he isn't writing, Ryan is likely considering yet another playthrough of Final Fantasy IX. He's also the DFTG cinnamon bun.