Huge ARK: Survival Evolved Patch Now Live for Consoles – Here’s Everything You Need to Know (VIDEO)
ARK: Survival Evolved is a survival game that pits player verse player and player verse dino in a vast world full of dangers and some amazing wildlife. The latest update for this survival game is live now and it’s a doozy. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players can expect a ton of new features as well as inventory adjustments that have been on the table for implementation for awhile. More dinosaurs than ever are now available for breeding, including aquatic types, plus new underwater bases, teleporters, and more are all included in the latest patch to hit ARK. Check out the video below to see everything patch 256 has in store in the latest huge ARK update:
New dinosaurs, new TEK (underwater bases, teleporters, power generators, and more), a full inventory overhaul, aquatic and amphibious breeding, new hairstyles, and so much more can be seen in this latest patch. Like we said, huge. Not only are cosmetic, audio, and mechanical changes implemented, but buffs, nerfs, and new capabilities under the sea are also available. Check out the full list of patch notes directly from the ARK website:
- Prefers Troodon Kibble (1 Troodon Egg, 1 Savoroot, 2 Rockarrots, 2 Mejoberries, 3 Fiber) or Rockarrots to tame.
- New active taming dynamic: feed Equus and then mount, pay attention to the bottom left corner and press E when prompted to calm (tame) Equus with food.
- Saddle inventory works as a portable mortar and pestle.
- Craftable lasso in the inventory when saddle equipped.
- Use lasso to catch creatures and players (similar to grappling hook), can only be used while mounted on Equus.
- Special wild Unicorn Equus! Extremely rare and tameable in the same way as regular Equus. Only one exists on the map at a time.
- Approach Leeds to grab fish meat or prime fish meat using (E).
- Aggressive towards rafts when they enter it’s aggro range. If you get attacked, RUN!
- Rare white version )alpha) of Leeds that is even larger than the normal Leeds.
- Killing an alpha Leeds will get you a special cosmetic item called a Captain’s Hat (found in the creatures inventory).
- Prefers Pegomastax Kibble (1 Pego Egg, 1 Raw Prime Fish Meat, 1 Citronal, 2 Mejoberries, 3 Fiber) to tame.
- Aim your crosshair at any fish, dodo, or compy and toss your gull at it (double tap F). The gull will circle around and then attack the prey.
- Two modes: Hunt, it will kill and eat what it catches, and Hunt and Retrieve, it will kill the prey and then bring it back to you.
- Fish caught using the gull gives the fish a buff (particle effect) that causes the fish to give more prime fish meat.
- Prefers Microraptor Kibble (1 Microraptor Egg, 1 Longrass, 3 Fiber, 2 Mejoberries, 1 Prime Meat Jerky) to tame.
- Change from bipedal (attack) to quadruped (run) mode using right click.
- Iguanodon has near infinite stamina when in quadruped mode.
- Converts fruit in its inventory into seeds using radial menu.
Tek Underwater Bases:
- Two new structure pieces: Vacuum Compartment and Vacuum Compartment Moonpool.
- Vacuum Compartment: a general square structure piece used for building bases, choose between the window style or the solid wall/ceiling/floor using the radial menu (freeze/unfreeze).
- Moonpool: A cube with a door at the bottom that allows the player to enter and leave the base.
- When powered (via TEK Generator) these structures allow a player to live and breathe inside of them.
- Powered by Element Shards, which are made by shredding Element in the Replicator.
- Teleports you and your creatures from one teleporter to another.
- The cost of the teleport is based on the size of the creature.
Tek Power Generator:
- Powered by Element, this powers structures within it’s radius without the use of cables or outlets.
Tek Mosa Saddle:
- Press CTRL to equip the gun while riding the Mosa, and fire with left click while Element is in the Mosa’s inventory to power it.
- You must know the engram in order to use this saddle.
Aquatic & Amphibious Creature Breeding
- Underwater eggs cannot be picked up by players, as they cannot survive out of water. So plan ahead!
- Underwater eggs will incubate in water at all times, no need to monitor temperature.
Total Inventory Menu Redesign
- It looks way prettier now!
- Press E to use, equip, or consume an item (no more remote use).
- Press Q to toggle item names and item types on/off.
- Right-click on items for more options and to learn the hotkeys to make your inventory management easier.
Lots of New Sounds
- New creature sounds for: Dodo, Raptor, Quetzal, Parasaur, Rex, Trike, Pteranodon, Dilo, Direwolf, Compy, Dung Beetle, Argent, Pachy, and Mammoth.
- New inventory sounds, building sounds, crafting sounds, female character sounds, and a couple items/weapons.
- A long time in the making, air combat is now being brought in-line with overall nerfs to things such as health, weight, speed, and stamina.
- Stamina: across the board 50% decrease to base stamina (not including moth) and per-level stamina increase amount.
- Increased stamina recovery time for flyers.
- Don’t allow the recovery stamina in the air if creature is being ridden or if a player is standing on it.
- No speed upgrade. This clears the existing level-up speed stats and gives the points back to you to spend elsewhere.
- Made passenger carrying weight scaling 1.0 for flyers.
- Increased wyvern elemental stamina cost.
- Riding speed of flyers decreased by 10-30%.
- Decreased quetz per-level hp.
- Added a 3 second cooldown to Ptera barrel roll.
1 New Hairstyle and 1 New Facial hairstyle
- Male and female variants.
- Ponytail (hairstyle) and Mutton Chops (facial hair).
20+ new Explorer Notes on the Island
- Player invulnerability after Eel attack increased to 5 seconds.
- Scuba tanks now provide oxygen underwater even when a player is offline.
- Underwater mines now respect enemy foundation radius.
- Underwater mines increased damage by 33%, increased targeting range by 100%, increased movement speed by 100%.
- Cluster grenades no longer fragment if they’ve been destroyed by damage.
- Vault health and physical size has been decreased.
- Speed buff gained from Oxygen stat on dinos decreased by 80%.
- Tek Structures now give appropriate insulation on Scorched Earth.
- Turrets can now be placed underwater. Underwater turrets will not target anything above water.
- Sheep now have a “Slaughter” option when you have a club, sword, hatchet etc equipped, also works on PvE.
- C4 is limited to one per dino.
Liana Ruppert578 Posts
With an arguably unhealthy obsession with Mass Effect, Liana has been an avid collector of gaming and comic memorabilia for well over two decades. With a passion for writing, gaming, and comics - she is currently working as Editor-in-Chief for the revival of Prima Games, with previous managing editor experience with several gaming publications including ComicBook.com, The Hollywood Reporter, TwinGalaxies, and other outlets. She is also the Co-Owner and Managing Editor for DFTG. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, as well as several Facebook communities online.