Bethesda Montreal is Working on a ‘Bleeding-Edge AAA Freemium’ Game
Bethesda Montreal is working on a “bleeding-edge AAA freemium” game, according to a job posting found on the publisher’s careers page. The job posting, which was listed on the website just a few days ago, calls for a Montreal-based Game Performance Manager that will be working with the “game design team on monetization design, strategy and execution.” The full summary of the job listing can be seen below:
“In this role, you will work with game team to envision, evolve, and operate monetization strategies, targeting the intersection of revenue generation goals and quality player experience. Ideally, you will have experience defining and operating online game business models, and have a deep understanding of player interactions with those models, both at the individual and community levels.”
At first glance, it appears to be a job listing for a new mobile game. This would corroborate the designated focus of the Bethesda Montreal studio which is mobile titles. That said, they are generally not referred to as “AAA” games and the projects are typically labeled as such. Despite the fact that the Montreal studio is run by Fallout Shelter head Yves Lachance, there is a good chance that the “AAA freemium” won’t be for mobile devices. The full list of responsibilities can be seen below, which may help glean some additional information on exactly what kind of title Bethesda Montreal is working on.
- Work with the game design team on monetization design, strategy and execution;
- Envision in-game content and business model recommendations;
- Set requirements and create specifications for monetization features;
- Drive and operate the resulting initiatives;
- Analyze the competitive landscape and benchmark against competitors;
- Drive data analysis and research to evaluate the health of the business and to explore new business opportunities;
- Assimilate feedback from players, competitive research, market trends, and quantitative data to propose and make recommendations that impact game content and product vision;
- Develop testing methodologies, analyze data to optimize price points and model the impact of new game features;
- Work with team to define metrics and develop dashboards to measure engagement and monetization success;
- Regularly review monetization strategy and performance, and present results to stakeholders
It is anyone’s guess as to what this is going to be. Earlier this year the Bethesda Game Studios director himself, Todd Howard, made mention of at least 5 projects in the works, including two “bigger” games. That said, E3 2017 is right around the corner and hopefully Bethesda’s keynote presentation this Sunday will shed some light on this mystery.
So, what are your thoughts on what this new ‘freemium’ game could be? What other potential sequels would you like to see announced by Bethesda this Sunday? Let us know in the comments section below, and as always, stay tuned to DFTG for all the latest gaming and entertainment news! Don’t forget to follow DFTG on Twitter for our 24/7 news feed!
Ryan "Cinna" Carrier1687 Posts
Ryan is an editor and writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he isn't reading and writing, Ryan is likely considering yet another playthrough of Final Fantasy IX. He's also the DFTG cinnamon bun.