WATCH: ‘Memories of Mars’ Brings Open World Survival To The Red Planet
There’s no shortage of survival games on Steam, but the new game Memories of Mars looks to provide a unique sci-fi experience on the surface of everyone’s favorite Red Planet. Launching on Early Access in the Spring, the title by 505 Games and Limbic Entertainment boasts a huge open world full of alien exploration and discovery.
The harsh Martian environment one expects from a desert planet is ever present, but the added threat of unknown enemies scattered over the landscape should make the survival experience less than a breeze. From the action we’ve seen in the corresponding trailer, the game gives off a major Mass Effect: Andromeda vibe, especially when it comes to the BioWare title’s bountiful themes of exploration. Check out the trailer below.
Early Access for Memories of Mars is set to arrive for PC sometime in Spring 2018, pending a more specific release date announcement by publisher 505 Games. A synopsis from the game’s official Steam listing can be read below.
100 years in the future, something happened on Mars. Once frequently visited, it is now abandoned with some left behind.
MEMORIES OF MARS is a open world survival game set on the abandoned mining operations in the red planet, as the dream of exploiting and colonizing Mars has proven impossible. You play as a recently awoken clone who learns its lifespan is limited by the lethal solar flares that hit the surface of the planet every few weeks.
Tasked with surviving the barren wastelands of Mars, players must explore the unforgiving Martian terrain and build a habitable homestead while fighting off against a variety of dangers including strange enemies, harsh environmental elements and other human clone survivors.
Explore and Survive the Red Planet.
- EXPLORE AND DISCOVER – Explore over 16 KM2 of the Martian landscape complete with deserts, craters, canyons, rocky planes, and mesas. Visit over 85 points of interest including abandoned towns, mines, industrial facilities, biodomes and vehicles.
- SURVIVE – Look after basic needs including health, stamina, nutrition, body temperature and oxygen.
- FIGHT –Encounter and fight against unique NPCs and competing players that are always looking to interrupt your adventures. These NPCs are strange enemies left over from previous, failed, colonization efforts. Now they’ve gone rogue, and you’ll need to fend them off.
- BUILD – Building your own base will be a cornerstone of your gameplay experience. Build a small base on your own, or collaborate and build a much larger base. Either way, a base is required to for the ultimate project – surviving Mars!
- EVENTS & FLOPS – Memories of Mars contains a unique system of in-game events where players will converge and try to survive these events and thereby collect Flops. There are multiple ways to collect Flops, but beware because other players can rob, kill and loot your Flops.
What do you think? Are you impressed with what you’ve seen so far of Memories of Mars, or have you met your survival game quota for a lifetime? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to follow Don’t Feed the Gamers to Twitter to be informed of the latest gaming and entertainment news 24 hours a day! For more sci-fi news from recent weeks, check out these next few links below:
Eric Hall1717 Posts
Phone-browsing Wikipedia in one hand and clutching his trusty controller in the other, the legendary Eric Hall spreads his wealth of knowledge as a writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. Be sure to catch his weekly "Throwback Thursday" segment for a nostalgic look at trivia from the past.