Massive Splatoon 2 Updates Bringing New Stages, Gear, Hairstyles, And More (VIDEO)
Nintendo has announced a few upcoming Splatoon 2 updates, just in time for the holiday season. The first big update – which arrives on November 23 – adds four new battle stages, a new Salmon Run stage, an increased level cap (50-99), four hairstyles, and loads of new gear. The first of the four new stages will begin to arrive on November 24 and is rather appropriately named MakoMart, thanks to its Black Friday release date. Rolling out in the weeks following the release of MakoMart, new stages Shellendorf Institute, Walleye Warehouse, and Arowana will also be made available, the latter two of which are classic maps from the original Splatoon. Check out the Splatoon 2 updates teaser video below for a sneak peek at the new stages:
The second of the two upcoming Splatoon 2 updates is arriving mid-December, and features the new game mode titled “Clam Blitz!” In the new mode, players are tasked with collecting clams (or stealing them from opponents( and throwing them into the basket close to said opponent’s base. The first team to score 100 points wins, though the baskets are initially protected by a barrier that must first be destroyed using a ‘Power Clam’, which players can acquire after collecting 10 clams. The rest of the update news can be seen below, courtesy of the official Splatoon website.
Upcoming Splatoon 2 Updates
- Four New Battle Stages: While four new battle stages are coming to Splatoon 2, they won’t all be available immediately after downloading the update. Like with previous additions, the stages will roll out over the subsequent weeks, giving players new surprises as they play throughout the holiday season and beyond. The first new battle stage, MakoMart, will be available to play on Black Friday, Nov. 24, with Shellendorf Institute, Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall coming soon. The new MakoMart stage is a giant superstore-style stage, so what better time to play than on Black Friday! Shellendorf Institute is new to the series, while Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall are popular stages returning from the original Splatoon game.
- New Salmon Run Stage: Fan-favorite multiplayer mode* Salmon Run is getting a new stage. After downloading the update, Salmonid Smokeyard will be added to the stage rotation. In Salmonid Smokeyard, a wide gap on the beach divides two upper platforms, with fan lifts being the quickest way to traverse the two platforms. Teamwork is required to use the fan lifts effectively.
- New Gear: Approximately 140 pieces of gear are being added to Splatoon 2. These include shoes, headgear and clothes, like a motocross mask, and additional winter clothing (perfect for the cold weather!), as well as returning items from the original Splatoon game.
- New Battle Music: Two new bands have been gaining popularity in Inkopolis! The punk-flavored Bottom Feeders and classically trained avant-garde-style Ink Theory are contributing new songs to the already music-rich game.
- New Hairstyle: When customizing an Inkling, four new hairstyles will be available to choose from – two each for female and male characters.
- Higher Level Caps: Currently, players are maxed out at Level 50. After downloading the update, the new maximum level will be raised to 99. If players talk to Judd when they reach Level 99, they’ll have the option to reset their level display to Level ★1 so they can continue raising their level.
- New amiibo Functionality: Tapping a compatible amiibo figure after the update will let players take and share in-game photos in preset locations in Battle Stages, in addition to being able to take photos in Inkopolis Square. Players can also add fun filters to their images.
- Convenient Gear Swapping: Players that want to change gear between battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo) won’t have to exit to the lobby anymore! After downloading the update, gear can be swapped out without leaving the match room, making it quicker to get back to splatting. For Regular Battle, this also means players can play the next battle with the same players.
Splatoon 2 is available for the Nintendo Switch. So, thoughts on the upcoming Splatoon 2 updates? What are you most excited for? Let us know in the comments section below, and as always, stay tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers for all the latest gaming and entertainment news! Don’t forget to follow DFTG on Twitter for our 24/7 news feed!
Ryan "Cinna" Carrier847 Posts
When he isn't reading and writing, Ryan ponders the mysterious, undocumented relationship between Chocobos and Moogles. He's also the DFTG cinnamon bun.