Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot Character List Leaks
With hype for all-things Mortal Kombat arguably at its peak, now seems like the perfect time to finally get that long-brewing Mortal Kombat movie off the ground following years of extended pre-pre-production. That may finally be happening by the looks of a recent report, where aspects such as scripting, budget, and casting are just about ready for that eventual greenlight.
While exact details regarding the particular story the movie will adapt remains up in the air, it looks as though a set of character descriptions have been potentially leaked. According to a list obtained by The Hashtag Show, quite a few familiar faces are set to be included in Mortal Kombat’s rebooted big-screen outing, including the likes of Raiden, Shang Tsung, and Sub Zero.
- COLE TURNER – A washed up boxer that still puts up a good fight. He loves his daughter Emily and will do anything to protect her. He is recruited to fight in Mortal Kombat and turns out to have a mysterious upbringing.
- EMILY – Cole’s 12-year-old daughter who is already a skilled boxing trainer. She proves to be tougher than she looks.
- KANO – The large, rugged Australian ex-special forces turned merc-for-hire wanted by Interpol for arms dealing and drug running. He’s killed a lot of people yet still has a goofy attitude.
- LORD RAIDEN – The Thunder God leader of the humankind’s contestants in Mortal Kombat. He oversees their training for the tournament.
- SONYA BLADE – The tough blonde dressed in military gear and ready to become a stronger champion.
- JACKSON “JAX” BRIDGES – With “Arms like cannons” he recruits Cole to the Mortal Kombat tournament.
- LIU KANG – A Shaolin warrior from the White Lotus society that has the ability to throw fireballs.
- KUNG LAO – A stoic warrior monk who throws his hat like a deadly frisbee.
- SUB-ZERO – The ice ninja with deadly eyes hidden behind a gruesome mask.
- MILEENA – The female Outworld assassin dressed in leather armor and wielding deadly sais.
- SHANG TSUNG – The ageless Outworld general that oversees the tournament and it’s fighters.
One of the more interesting inclusions is a character by the name of Cole Turner, someone who (by my memory) doesn’t belong the the Mortal Kombat canon. Another aspect fans may notice is the lacking mention of notable personnel like Scorpion and Johnny Cage, but the report notes it’s entirely possible that they could still appear in the final film in some capacity.
Right now, the Mortal Kombat movie is still regarded as in early production, a notion emphasized last year by producer James Wan. However, the video game adaptation is nonetheless looking much further along these days, especially following reveals such as Kano casting aspirations and this leaked list of character information. If momentum keeps up, the movie’s filmmakers (namely screenwriter Greg Russo) are hoping for Warner Bros. Pictures to greenlight the project in time for 2020.
Still hoping to make 2020…
— Greg Russo (@WriterRusso) March 7, 2019
What do you think? Are you glad that the Mortal Kombat movie is including so many familiar faces, or are you just wondering who Cole Tuner is? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to follow Don’t Feed the Gamers on Twitter and Facebook to be informed of the latest gaming and entertainment news 24 hours a day! For more headlines recently featured on DFTG, check out these next few news stories:
Eric Hall1516 Posts
Phone-browsing Wikipedia in one hand and clutching his trusty controller in the other, the legendary Eric Hall spreads his wealth of knowledge as a writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. Be sure to catch his weekly "Throwback Thursday" segment for a nostalgic look at trivia from the past.