Final Fantasy’s 30th Anniversary Event Live – Full Announcement List Here
Square Enix has kicked off a special event today in Tokyo, commemorating the 30th anniversary of the Final Fantasy series. The event began with a string quintet performing a moving rendition of the original Final Fantasy prelude music, followed by the arrival of Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshitaka Amano, Shinji Hashimoto and Yosuke Matsuda, whose names should sound familiar even if you’ve just a passing knowledge of the iconic RPG series.
The rest of the event following their arrival was dedicated to numerous FF-related announcements, including a new ‘key visual’ for the Final Fantasy VII remake, new Final Fantasy XV DLC details, and a concrete release date for Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, all of which you can see below!
Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Square released new artwork for the game, featuring Cloud and Sephiroth. The hype is real.
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
- We finally have release dates for FFXII’s PlayStation 4 remake. The game is set to release on July 11th of this year. Japan and Asia will get it just two days later, on July 13th.
- Grizzled soldier Balthier will arrive in World of Final Fantasy as a DLC Champion Summon, to celebrate FFXII’s release.
Final Fantasy XIV
- The event issued a reminder that FFXIV’s newest expansion, Stormblood, will be available on June 20th.
- A live action FFXIV show titled ‘Daddy of Light’ was also announced, which we covered here.
Final Fantasy XV
- A newly announced costume DLC for our four heroes is set to arrive in the form of a ‘booster pack’ on February 21st. The outfits look familiar, for some reason…
- Episode Gladio will be released on March 28th. He will be accompanied by Crownsguard Marshal Cor Leonis.
- Episode Prompto will be released sometime in June.
Miscellaneous Final Fantasy Announcements
- Final Fantasy Wine is officially a thing. There is a $880 version that will include Swarovski crystal (of course) studded glasses and an expensive wine. Cheaper versions will also be available, titled Ifrit Rogue and Shiva Blanc.
- Special Final Fantasy cakes featuring a Moogle, Chocobo and Cactuar will be sold in Japan for around $35.
- The Cup Noodle brand will be releasing different cup noodle flavors based off the villains of each Final Fantasy game. A fork will be included with the hilt of a sword. The handle apparently resembles Cloud’s Ultima Weapon.
- A new Final Fantasy fashion line-up has been announced.
- Final Fantasy: Lost Strangers, a new Japanese manga series.
- A Final Fantasy XIV-themed escape room is planned for Japan.
- The Sapporo Snow Festival in Japan will have giant FF7-themed snow sculptures.
- Several character cross-over events have been announced for multiple FF mobile games, such as Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, Mobius Final Fantasy, and Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia (Japan only).
- New Distant Worlds orchestra concerts have been announced worldwide, as well as FFXV Piano Collections and ‘Brass de Bravo’ band concerts in Japan.
- A Final Fantasy Exhibition is set to take place in Japan in 2018.
Congratulations to Square Enix on 30 years of Final Fantasy! What do you all think of the 30th anniversary event so far? Are you going to try to get your hands on one of those sweet, FF-themed Moogle cakes? More importantly, Shiva Blanc or Ifrit Rogue? Share your thoughts in the comments section below, and as always, stay tuned to DFTG for all your Final Fantasy news!
Ryan "Cinna" Carrier3016 Posts
Ryan is the Lead Editor for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he isn't writing, Ryan is likely considering yet another playthrough of Final Fantasy IX. He's also the DFTG cinnamon bun.