Final Fantasy VII Remake Discusses Cloud’s Cross-Dressing Scene, Tifa’s New Look
The highly anticipated Final Fantasy VII Remake is less than one year away from its early 2020 release date. Let that sink in a second. Anyways, with the latest batch of information having revealed that the first release in what will end up being at least a two-part series, many fans are wondering what else Square Enix has planned for Midgar. Another part of the fan base, though, is passionately concerned wondering if the Japanese publisher plans on removing Cloud’s cross-dressing scene from the game. Thankfully, that appears to not be the case.
Square Enix game director Tetsuya Nomura recently sat down with the folks at Famitsu to discuss various aspects of the Final Fantasy VII Remake, revealing some interesting details about what’s to come. According to Nomura-san, the infamous cross-dressing scene – along with the events that transpire within the Honey Bee Inn – are all intact and will be modernized. “If we made the facility like we did in the game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good,” said Nomura-san.
Speaking of physical unease, there’s been a not insignificant amount of talk revolving around Tifa’s ‘nerfed’ appearance, namely her chest reason. According to Nomura-san, the developer wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also had a few changes they needed to make as well in keeping with modernizing the Final Fantasy VII Remake. “The ethics department also told us that we had to tighten her chest as to not get unnatural during all the intense action,” he said. “From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top.”
Here are a few other of the hot points that were covered, courtesy of Gematsu:
- The watchmen of fate (the black mist in the trailer) are mysterious beings that appear before the party wherever they go. I hope that even those who have played the original game will enjoy the new elements.
- There are quite a bit of dialogue options. We are making it so the dialogue changes depending on your response, so the sheer volume of dialogue has increased.
- There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn’t changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn’t have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)
- Aerith and Tifa are double heroines. One has a western-style look and the other an eastern-style look.
- With an emphasis on immersion and exhilaration, you can fight without stress through the use of shortcuts. When you open the command menu, time slows and you can fight like a command battle.
- Each playable character has different enemy affinities.
- An item is required for MP recovery.
- For the sake of level design, we’re preparing a few new enemies where necessary.
Final Fantasy VII Remake releases exclusively for the PlayStation 4 on March 3, 2020.
So, thoughts on the latest news from Square Enix? How do you feel about Tifa’s new look? Let us know in the comments section below, and as always, stay tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers for all the latest gaming and entertainment news! Don’t forget to follow DFTG on Twitter for our 24/7 news feed!
Ryan "Cinna" Carrier2956 Posts
Ryan is the Lead Editor for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he isn't writing, Ryan is likely considering yet another playthrough of Final Fantasy IX. He's also the DFTG cinnamon bun.