Tetris Effect Announced For PlayStation 4 And PS VR (VIDEO)
Tetris is a classic title beloved by fans of all ages as a retro favorite in the gaming world. Sony recently announced a trippy new take on the title called Tetris Effect as a form of their “Countdown to E3.” It might not be a big name AAA title, but it is a classic and will give players the chance to play this iconic arcade experience with a modern take. Pair that with its VR capability … well, it’s definitely going to be a memorable entry.
As Enhance Games describes:
Named after a real-world phenomenon where players’ brains are so engrossed that images of the iconic falling Tetrimino blocks (i.e. the Tetris playing pieces) linger in their vision, thoughts, and even dreams, TETRIS EFFECT amplifies this magical feeling of total immersion by surrounding you with fantastic, fully three-dimensional worlds that react and evolve based on how you play. Music, backgrounds, sounds, special effects—everything, down to the Tetris pieces themselves, pulse, dance, shimmer, and explode in perfect sync with how you’re playing.”
The trailer below provides a mind boggling tease complete with a gorgeous musical landscape filled with hypnotic backdrops:
Fans will be able to take on the classic arcade game of Tetris inlcuding many familiar features as well as quite a few new additions:
- Includes the all-new “Zone” mechanic, where players can stop time (and Tetriminos falling) by entering “the Zone” and either get out of a sticky situation that could otherwise lead to “Game Over,” or rack up extra line clears for bonus rewards.
- Over 30 different stages, each with its own music, sound effects, graphical style and background that all evolve and change as you play through them.
- Fully playable on either a standard display (up to 4K and 60fps on a PS4™Pro), or optionally in mind-blowing 3D on PS VR.
- Fan-favorite modes like Marathon, Sprint, and Ultra, with more all-new modes and other features to be revealed before launch.
- A player grading and leveling system as well as variable difficulty to encourage and reward replayability.
The trailer is wondrous and the ability to play the title in VR makes it all the more enticing. There is no current release date for Tetris Effect however it is expected to release sometime this Fall for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR. Let us know your thoughts on Tetris Effect and more in the comments section below. As always, don’t forget to follow Don’t Feed the Gamers on Twitter for 24/7 coverage of all things gaming and entertainment.
Chris Calles1437 Posts
Known as "Stash" or Yippee Calles. He's a student of everything, avid adrenaline junkie, and creator of random things. When he's not delving into a game, book, or movie - He's out teaching himself new things or taking part in some pretty epic adventures. You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr.