GTA Online’s ‘Smuggler’s Run’ Update Adds Custom Planes and New Adversary Mode (VIDEO)
Rockstar Games‘ new Smuggler’s Run expansion has gone live for Grand Theft Auto Online, and the update looks to build upon the already massive multiplayer environment by adding new smuggling operations. The major addition adds several covert delivery missions as well as fresh in-game content that includes an aircraft workshop, living quarters, and a customizable hangar where users can park their Cuban 800 plane that comes free with the update. Smuggler’s Run also adds a new Free Trade Shipping Co. app to players’ in-game phone, assisting in managing and launching those presumably plentiful smuggling missions.
Seven new aircrafts are also flying in on the update that can be customized to have faster engines, smoother handling, and installed weaponry, such as machine guns or bombs. Those last two should definitely come in handy on those specifically intense missions, or if you’re just in the mood to explode stuff — it is GTA after all. All plane enhancements will be done out of the previously mentioned aircraft workshop. A full list of newly added planes and descriptions continues at the bottom of the post.
For those that feel the ground is more their speed, then Smuggler’s Run also adds Motor Wars, a new Adversary mode that tasks up to four teams to parachute into a set area to find a special weaponized vehicle before time runs out. The side that finds it first gets the pleasure of wiping out the opposition. The new mode combines elements of similar Adversary modes Drop Zone and Penned In. Two over-the-top cars are making their debut as well: the Vapid Retinue and the Grotti Visione.
As for the weekly bonuses, logging into GTA Online between now and September 4th will score you three free in-game shirts. Those interested in triple RP and potentially big GTA$ can go for the Premium Race going on during that time, which is Gauntlet. The less-competitive Time Trial mode is Casino, and rewards players just for beating the set target time. Before that end date arrives, users will also be able to get a 25% discount on the following vehicles:
- Anti-Aircraft Trailer
- Armored Boxville
- BF Raptor
- HVY Insurgent Pick-Up
- Karin Technical
GTA Online‘s Smuggler’s Run update is out now for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. What do you think? Is smuggling your new favorite GTA pastime, or is Motor Wars where it’s at? Are you a good enough smuggler to do Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to follow DFTG on the Twitter for the latest in gaming and entertainment news 24 hours a day! And now, without further ado, those planes you’ve been waiting for!
New Aircraft in the Smuggler’s Run Update
- Buckingham Alpha-Z1 – A speedster’s dream and a smuggler’s preferred getaway racer. Engine: four cylinder, fixed pitch. Wing area: 66 square feet. Top Speed: routinely fatal. Available from Elitás Travel.
- LF-22 Starling – One moment you’re on the runway, slowly inching into position, wondering what all the fuss is about. The next, you’re 220 feet in the air and rising, a shrieking human speck on the front end of a blazing rocket trail headed straight for the stratosphere. The LF-22 Starling packs mounted rockets, optional homing missiles, and bombs for extra punch. Available from Warstock Cache & Carry.
- Mammoth Tula – Remember the kid who always had a multi-tool with him? Remember how popular he was? Well, if he had survived high school, there’s only one set of keys he would have in his fanny pack: the Tula is a quad-prop monster with VTOL and water-landing capabilities, space for turrets and a bomb bay, and the capacity for JATO upgrades. Be prepared. Available from Warstock Cache & Carry.
- Nagasaki Havok – In the world of tactical air support, bigger is better, right? Wrong. Incredibly small and highly maneuverable, if the Havok was any smaller you’d have to stay on the ground and use a phone app to fly it. Throw the option for a machine-gun upgrade and decoy flares, and you’re going into any negotiations with a serious edge. Available from Elitás Travel.
- Nagasaki Ultralight – What red-blooded American hasn’t gazed at an eagle as it soars through an empty sky, refined by millions of years of evolution into the epitome of aerial dexterity and lethal precision and wondered: what could be more dignified, more transcendent? Well, now you know. Available from Elitás Travel.
- V-65 Molotok – The poster child for brutalist military chic, the V-65 Molotok has been reproduced in juntas and dictatorships right across the developing world, and that’s not just because of the lethal efficiency of its twin nose-mounted machine guns. It’s because when you look this merciless, the battle’s won before you’ve even taken off. Available from Warstock Cache & Carry.
- Western Rogue – To the casual observer, the Rogue looks like a classic, single-prop training aircraft. And that’s exactly what you want them to think. Because with room for machine guns, missiles, anti-intercept countermeasures, and a full-size bomb bay, you’ll have those casual observers running for any available cover. Available from Warstock Cache & Carry.
Eric Hall2161 Posts
Phone-browsing Wikipedia in one hand and clutching his trusty controller in the other, the legendary Eric Hall spreads his wealth of knowledge as a writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. Be sure to catch his weekly "Throwback Thursday" segment for a nostalgic look at trivia from the past.