Cyberpunk 2077 Details Unveiled At E3 2018 – Characters, Gameplay, And More
If there is one thing the gaming community was excited to see come out of the press conferences at E3 2018, it was more Cyberpunk 2077. Well, at the end of Microsoft’s Xbox showcase, CD Projekt RED swooped in with the goods. We received a decent look at the world that lies ahead, but not much else. Not that we’re complaining. After all, the footage shown was absolutely gorgeous.
That said, more details are beginning to make their way from the showroom floor of E3 and onto the internet. YouTuber Jesse Cox was excited to come face to face with the Cyberpunk 2077 booth, where he learned a handful of information that clues fans in on what is happening in Night City. In regards to how the gameplay handles in the demo that was showcased, Cox tweeted the following images:
— Jesse Cox @ Monster Prom (@JesseCox) June 12, 2018
It appears that Night City, the vibrant concrete landscape fans saw in the trailer, is made up of six districts:
- “This is the heart of corporations, the cluster of neon and the quintessence of luxury.”
- “A unique mix of Asian cultures… a fallen corporate giant now populated by immigrants, hiding various bazaars & markets in a tangle of narrow alleyways.”
- “Featuring tourist-oriented Japantown… a place for the wealthy who like to work hard and play hard.”
- “Predominantly Latino… a massive suburban housing district, with an underlying gang problem.”
- “The most dangerous part of town, abandoned and overrun by gang activity. Separated from the rest of the city, it’s a place of immense poverty.”
- “All of Night City is powered from Santo Domingo, with its countless power plants and industrial factories, stuck in an endless cycle of modernization.”
It’s also noted that a key gameplay feature in Cyberpunk 2077 is “vertical exploration.” The example provided explains that V’s apartment is nestled in a megabuilding, which has several floors. “Each floor is home to many NPCs, secrets and potential quests.” Once players have left said structure, they can traverse the city by car and motorcycle. Also mentioned is the possibility of vehicular combat, so that sounds fun!
As for the characters in the Cyberpunk 2077, we already know that players will take on the role of V, who was chosen to be female for the E3 demo. “At launch, the game will feature a complex character creation system, including a backstory creator,” says CDPR. Choose between Netrunner, Techie, or Solo (or a combination of the three) and begin your journey through Night City. Here are the characters that are featured in the demo:
— Jesse Cox @ Monster Prom (@JesseCox) June 12, 2018
- “A gun for hire, Jackie is a highly skilled assassin. In the Wild West setting, he’d surely be a gunslinger or a bounty hunter. 2077 has him as a cyberpunk, just outside the big league. And he really wants to get into the game.”
- “Fixers like Dexter juggles illegal contracts – burglaries, assassinations, kidnappings, trafficking, you name it. They do it for a price, of course. They’re links between clients and mercenaries. In Night City, fixers aren’t far and between, but Dexter is exceptional. He’s a top level player, with a wide net of contacts and the best mercenaries on demand.”
- “Night City is the city of megacorporations, but street gangs also have their share of power. The Watson district has a particular problem with a gang known as the Maelstrom. Royce is their boss. He raids corporate transports and sells stolen tech on the streets. He’s cold, calculating and distrustful. People see him as a psycho but it might just be a facade to instill fear in others.”
- “When technology became advanced, cyberware became common. This is why people in Night City need ripperdocs. Ripperdocs are medical technicians – half doctors, half engineers. They can patch you up in no time, stitching your gut after it has been slashed open and tending to bullet wounds. And if your tech is broken, they can either fix it or install new, illegal wares. Victor is a master of both – the scalpel and the screwdriver. Having been a ringside physician for years, he sure has enough experience.”
Meredith Stout (Militech Agent)
- “Corporate executives are the new aristocracy of this world. They watch the city from above, sitting in their plush chairs at the tops of skyscrapers in the corporate district. Meredith is an egomaniac who will stop at nothing to reach her goals – and she’s highly successful. She lives and breathes corporate. She despises the common folk and spits all over people from the lower classes.”
It should also be highlighted that Cyberpunk 2077 is a first-person RPG, and not an FPS. After many gamers raised concerns about this very thing, CD Projekt RED chimed in with this:
To all of you asking – you’ll have many opportunities to see your character. It’s going to be First Person RPG, not a FPS. https://t.co/CL3ltfcaAe
— Cyberpunk 2077 (@CyberpunkGame) June 12, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077 is without a release date at this time, but when it does launch, it will be coming to PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Keep it tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers as this story develops, and for other glorious gaming goodness going on right now, check out the following:
- Just Cause 4 Official Gameplay Showcase Reveals Action-Packed Mayhem And New Threats (VIDEO)
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Will Have Romance Options, Here’s How It Works
- Fallout 76: Here’s How Microtransactions Will Work
What say you, gamers? Are you even more excited about Cyberpunk 2077 now that you know a bit more about the title? Do you think we’ll be seeing some gameplay in the near future, or is it still going to be some time before that happens? Sound off in the comments section below, and be sure to follow DFTG on Twitter for live gaming and entertainment news 24/7!
Eric Garrett1554 Posts
Eric is an editor and writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he is not staring at a computer screen filled with text, he is usually staring at a computer screen filled with controllable animations. Today's youth call this gaming. He also likes to shoot things. With a camera, of course.