SMITE Awakens Cthulhu ‘The Great Dreamer’ (VIDEO)
Cthulhu the Great Dreamer stirs and will soon join the ranks of other fearsome gods in SMITE, the free-to-play, third-person multiplayer online battle arena by Hi-Rez Studios and Titan Forge Games. To break the announcement to the SMITE community, the team revealed an unsettling trailer of Cthulhu breaking free from his chains to bring powerful dominion over the lands. The first to face his wrath? Zeus. Check it out:
Cthulhu, #TheGreatDreamer, has awakened from his eternal slumber. Prepare for power the likes of which no one has ever seen.
Prepare for madness. pic.twitter.com/G2uYedkRWK
— SMITE (@SMITEGame) May 25, 2020
To face his fearsome and majestic tentacles, you have to know who the great Cthulhu is. Created by renown writer H.P. Lovecraft, Cthulhu’s legacy began as an entity worshiped by cultists in 1928. An array of variations have come to since Cthulhu was first introduced and his likeness can be seen in World of Warcraft, Call of Cthulhu, Terraria, and a laundry list of other titles. There have been movies and TV series inspired by him as well.
For SMITE in particular, he is known as The Great Dreamer and High Priest of the Great Old Ones. “He is the gateway to a set of cosmic entities with unfathomable power,” Titan Forge Games lead designer AJ ‘TitanAjax Walker explains. “They have existed for aeons, likely coming into being before our currently known universe.”
He’ll have the ability to drive enemy gods mad, views all beings as insignificant fodder, and uses fear to his advantage. Check out Cthulhu’s unique gameplay features in SMITE below:
SMITE: Cthulhu Gameplay Features
- Just as in the stories, Cthulhu will be able to drive enemy gods insane, causing them to experience a wide array of effects – including a whole new set of audio/visual confusion elements
- Cthulhu then feeds on the gods’ madness. He can hit insane gods with a specific ability to “Break” them. He becomes permanently tankier each time he successfully Breaks a god.
- A unique scale. Cthulhu is in a distinctly unique size range that is larger than all the usual gods, but not as tall as Jormungandr. It should be noted that Cthulhu will move, attack, and be attacked within the usual Smite play space.
- This scale concept is pushed to the limits during his ultimate ability, which changes his visual appearance while making him the largest god in Smite history to remain within the traditional play space while scaled up.
Cthulhu heads to SMITE next month and as the saying goes: “Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”
What do you think of the big bad Cthulhu getting in the mix with the other gods of SMITE? Let us know what you think in the comments section below or start a conversation on Don’t Feed the Gamers Facebook page. To stay up to date on gaming and entertainment news as it happens, follow us on Twitter! Here are some of our latest:
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Deluxe Edition Art Book Revealed
- PlayStation Plus Free Games For June 2020 Kicks Off Early With Call Of Duty: WWII
- Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition Title Screens And Cinematic Mode Revealed
- Halo 3 PC Flight Testing Planned To Begin Next Month
If you enjoy this writer’s work, please consider supporting them by tossing a Ko-fi their way! Every little bit helps and aims to keep DFTG independent and free of bias. Thank you so much for your support.
Hoi Duong2109 Posts
Hoi is an elusive figure at DFTG, whose favorite past-times include chillin' in the Fade, reading manga, watching anime, collecting novelty items, and gaming.