Kingdom Hearts Trilogy Coming To Nintendo Switch Via Cloud (VIDEO)
On the heels of Sora’s announced addition to Super Smash Bros’ Ultimate, the mainline Kingdom Hearts trilogy has now been officially confirmed for release on the Nintendo Switch. Collecting Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX, 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, and Kingdom Hearts 3 + Re:Mind, Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai announced the news during the Nintendo-hosted proceedings, unveiling the new ports as streaming-only cloud versions of the popular franchise entries.
While modern titles like The Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal have performed technical miracles to operate as a fully functioning experience on Nintendo Switch, some publishers have opted to release online-only cloud versions of popular titles, with this Kingdom Hearts trilogy collection being the latest to opt for a more streaming-focused release. Cloud titles were initially few and far between, but the added likes of Hitman 3, Control, and the upcoming Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy look to have considerably broadened the platform’s appeal.
A release date for the Kingdom Hearts trilogy on Switch was absent from the initial announcement but more information was teased for a later date. While fans wait on more launch information, each collection is currently confirmed to be available as a standalone purchase or as an all-in-one package called ‘Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece,’ which is also solely available through the cloud. A full rundown of each version can be viewed below, via Square Enix.
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX
- Kingdom Hearts Final Mix – The action RPG that first introduced gamers to Sora and the worlds of KINGDOM HEARTS. It’s been enhanced with remastered HD visuals, improved controls, a remade soundtrack and more!
- Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories – After the dramatic events of the first game, Sora, Donald and Goofy stumble into the mysterious Castle Oblivion and an adventure that threatens one of their most precious treasures – their memories. This game augmented the original’s action RPG gameplay of the series with an innovative card battling system – it’s one of the most unique games in the series.
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (HD Remastered Cinematics) – This story centers on Roxas, a young man with a very special connection to Sora. This release features cinematics from the original game, enhanced with additional text and remastered in HD.
- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix – Sora, Donald and Goofy reunite in an epic action RPG romp that takes them into some incredibly memorable – and unexpected – Disney worlds.
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep FINAL MIX – This one’s a real fan favorite. It’s a prequel that focuses on three new playable characters: Terra, Ventus, and Aqua. The story of these three friends is heartfelt, emotional and has major implications on the KINGDOM HEARTS saga.
- Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (HD Remastered Cinematics) – This story takes a virtual Sora, appropriately named Data Sora, into a digital world to find answers to a mysterious message. The collection features enhanced cinematics only.
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
- Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD – Sora and his best friend Riku take their Mark of Mastery exams to become true keyblade wielders. It does… not go as planned.
- Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage- – This brilliantly bite-sized action RPG puts you in the pointy shoes of Aqua, who debuted in KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep. It’s a must play because the events of the game lead directly into KINGDOM HEARTS III.
- Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover (movie) – This special movie takes you way back in the series timeline to tell the story of the Foretellers.
Kingdom Hearts 3 + Re:Mind
- Kingdom Hearts 3 – Sora’s battle against the forces of Darkness reaches its unforgettable climax in this beautiful adventure that takes Sora, Donald and Goofy to brand new Disney and Pixar worlds. They’ll explore a toy store with Buzz and Woody, untangle a sinister plot with Rapunzel, help Sully and Mike Wazowski show the forces of evil the door, and much more.
- Kingdom Hearts 3: Re:Mind – The Switch version also includes the Re Mind DLC as standard, giving you extra story content, new boss battles and loads of additional features as part of your purchase.
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX, 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, and Kingdom Hearts 3 + Re:Mind are currently available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
What do you think? Are you glad to see the mainline Kingdom Hearts trilogy finally arrive on Nintendo Switch, or are you slightly bummed that it’ll only be the cloud versions? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to follow Don’t Feed the Gamers on Twitter and Facebook to be informed of the latest gaming and entertainment news 24 hours a day!
If you enjoy this writer’s work, please consider supporting them by tossing a Ko-fi their way! Every little bit helps and aims to keep DFTG independent and free of bias. Thank you so much for your support! Eric Hall @ Ko-fi
Eric Hall2500 Posts
Phone-browsing Wikipedia in one hand and clutching his trusty controller in the other, the legendary Eric Hall spreads his wealth of knowledge as a writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. Be sure to catch his "Throwback Thursday" segment for a nostalgic look at trivia from the past.