Which House Do You Bend the Knee to? Ommegang’s GoT Beer has You Covered!
Want your very own Game of Thrones (GoT) beer? Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown NY has created many Game of Thrones brews in the past. They release different collections occasionally and the latest are the Bend the Knee Golden Ales. Ommegang and HBO released the new set of GoT beer, and they say despite the high alcohol content (9.0% ABV), the brews have “extreme drink-ability”. The Bend the Knee Golden Ales are brewed with pils malt, flaked oats, and 3 types of hops. According to Ommerang they have a “subtle noble and floral hop contribution with the delicate flavors of honey”.
The 3 different Bend the Knee ales are in collectible, matte black, 750 ml bottles that have 1 of 3 sigils on them from the houses Lannister, Stark, and Targaryen. It will also be released on draft in select locations and, despite the different houses on the bottles, it’s the same Game of Thrones beer inside each. Ommegang will release the beer sometime around Memorial Day weekend with a suggested retail price of $10.99 a bottle. Their other Game of Thrones collections include:
- Iron Throne – “With a Lannister currently on the throne, it made sense to do a delicate, but piercing Golden Blonde Ale with Noble hops. Iron Throne is certainly fair in color and soft in appearance, yet it still possesses a complexity and bite to be on guard for.”
- Take the Black Stout – “Inspired by the brotherhood of the Night’s Watch, Take the Black Stout was made to be deep, dark and complex like those who have sworn the oath to defend Westeros against threats from the north. The label depicts the Weirwood tree where Jon Snow recited the oath before joining the Night’s Watch.”
- Fire and Blood – “Named after the motto of House Targaryen, Fire and Blood is inspired by Daenerys Targaryen and her three dragons, Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion. To celebrate the rebirth of dragons, three different labels were created by the Game of Thrones visual effects specialists, each depicting one of Daenerys’ feared dragons. Randomly distributed among the cases, each case will contain all three bottles.”
- Valar Morghulis – “In the world of Westeros, Valar Morghulis means “all men must die.” Fans of the hit HBO show chose the foreboding phrase as the name of the newest beer in the Game of Thrones® collaboration between HBO and Brewery Ommegang. As part of a Facebook poll, fan voting determined the style and name of the next beer. An Abbey Dubbel was selected and it is perfectly represented by the “two- headed” coin given to Arya Stark by Jaqen H’ghar, one of the “Faceless Men of Braavos” – legendary assassins with the ability to change their appearances at will.
- Three Eyed Raven – “Push through the thick brambles and present yourself to the Three-Eyed Raven. Abiding in the shadows of the Three-Eyed Raven lies this deceptive Dark Saison. The ominous Three-Eyed Raven inspired us to brew a Dark Saison ale, a hybrid style open to brewer’s imagination. In the end it is neither a pure saison nor your typical dark beer, but instead a delectable blend that both deceives and thrills the senses.”
- Seven Kingdoms – “Seven Kingdoms is a marriage of a traditional Belgian-style wheat and a hop-forward American ale – but unlike so many of the marriages on the show, the resulting hoppy wheat is pleasant, playful and inspired. Seven Kingdoms harmoniously weds citrusy and herbal American hops, with wheaty maltiness and moderate bitterness.”
- Valar Dohaeris – “Valar Dohaeris Tripel Ale is, much like a “faceless man,” not what it first appears to be; it shares the complexity of its sister-brew, Valar Morghulis Dubbel, and a strength masked and belied by its lighter color.”
You guys should check out their website here! Which GoT beer sounds best to you? Let us know in the comment section below and make sure to follow DFTG on Twitter for all the best news, hot off the presses. Check out these other Game of Thrones articles below!
- Possible Game of Thrones (GoT) Make-Up Palette In the Works Thanks to Storybook Cosmetics
- Experience Westeros With Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms Mod for Attila: Total War (VIDEO)
- New Game of Thrones Short Story From George R. R. Martin Coming This Year
Freelancer Spotlight417 Posts
Our Freelancer Spotlight is a way for our community members to be involved and share what they love with the site! From news, reviews, to cosplay features - it's one of the many ways our community can become even more immersive with DFTG.