Dead by Daylight Howling Grounds Event Goes Live With New Patch
The Lunar New Year is upon us and while Steam is celebrating with some hefty price drops, the survival game Dead by Daylight is introducing an all new event for the Year of the Dog. The appropriately titled ‘Howling Grounds’ is set to introduce new cosmetics and enhancements to the asymmetrical horror title, adding a bit of festive flair to the murderous proceedings.
To initiate the Howling Grounds festival, players are tasked with finding and burning a red envelope, which updates both generators and hooks for the Lunar holiday. Hooks will now award burnt coins when a Survivor is hooked, and gold coins when generators are repaired. These earned riches can be used to unlock individual cosmetic loot during the duration of Howling Grounds.
There’s added incentive to gather those coins, as any extra earned coins go toward the event’s Community Challenge, which unlocks a third mystery reward upon fulfilling. The goal is set at 10 million coins, which definitely seems doable as evidenced by the coin counter on the official Howling Grounds webpage. The count is nearing 1.4 million at the time of writing.
No end date has been announced for Howling Grounds, but since the event does celebrate the Lunar New Year, it likely won’t stick around long. However, with the Dead by Daylight community working toward that 10 million coin goal, the event might be intended to go on until the third reward is revealed. Dead by Daylight is out now for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. A full rundown of changes can be read in the patch notes below.
Dead by Daylight Howling Grounds – Patch notes 1.9.2
Howling Grounds – Event Objective
- Acquire a Red Envelope Offering in the Bloodweb and play it in a trial
- Each Red Envelope Offering played will generate 1 Lunar Hook and 1 Lunar Generator
- As a Killer, hook a Survivor on a Lunar Hook for the first time to gain 1 Burnt Coin
- As a Survivor, complete repairs on a Lunar Generator to grant all Survivors 1 Golden Coin
- If you played a Red Envelope, you will also score bonus Bloodpoints when the above conditions are met
- Once you have enough Burnt Coins, you will unlock a customization item for The Huntress
- Once you have enough Golden Coins, you will unlock a customization item for David King
- Keep collecting coins – even if you have unlocked the customizations – they all contribute to the community challenge!
- The Red Envelope Offering is only playable during the Lunar event
Features & Content
- Content – Added new menu and lobby aesthetics for the Lunar New Year event
- Content – Added support for the Howling Grounds event (see the details in the event objective section)
- Feature – Added a Difficulty Rating for all Survivors and Killers and updated the character descriptions to better help our newer players
- Feature – Added a tutorial pop-up when entering a new menu for the first time. For expert players, these can be easily dismissed using the ‘Hide All Tutorials’ checkbox.
- Feature – Added additional help text, tool tips, and improvements to various menus such as the Bloodweb, Daily Rituals, Character Info, Currencies, Shrine of Secrets, etc.
- Feature – Players now receive a notification the first time they are affected by another player’s perks. This currently applies to the perks Leader, Streetwise, Dying Light, Thanatophobia and Unnerving Presence.
- Adjusted the sound of the static when shocked by The Doctor
- Fixed an issue that allowed Survivor to use the Map item while in Madness Tier III. This was a design change made back in Doctor Cube (1.6.2), and was only applied to the healing/repairing interactions. Now all items cannot be used (auras reading, firecrackers, flashlights, healing, repairing/sabotaging) when needing to Snap Out Of It.
- Fixed an issue that made it impossible to rescue a dying survivor with a pallet/flashlight save while being picked up or dropped mid animation. Now, the pick up/drop animation will play fully, followed by the flashlight/pallet stun.
- Fixed an issue that prevented The Nurse from getting stunned by a pallet during her blink. If a pallet is pulled on her, she will get stunned after her blink is complete.
- Reworked the Pig’s Rite of the Ungrateful Daily Ritual: It now requires to land 4 successful
- Dash attacks with the Pig for 30 000 Bloodpoints.
- Reworked the values of three Score Events for the Pig:
- A Successful Hit after an Ambush Dash gives 250 Bloodpoints (instead of 200).
- Starting an Ambush Dash gives 50 Bloodpoints (instead of 100)
- Borrowed Time modification: Only the survivor being unhooked will be protected by Borrowed Time and Borrowed Time is no longer a single use perk. We will monitor the usage of this perk and its function before doing further changes to Borrowed Time. Text change is currently only updated in English.
- Fixed an issue that allowed The Nightmare to put Survivor to sleep when they were hiding in a locker
- Fixed an issue that allowed players to track the hatch with the Rainbow Map or Black Silk Cord add-on prior to meeting the requirements to spawn the hatch
- Fixed an issue that caused Survivors not to receive Map Scout points for anything tracked by the Detective’s Hunch perk
- Fixed an issue that caused Survivors to be unable to perform certain actions / interactions when the same movement button was bound to Q
- Fixed an issue that caused audio cues and Survivor groans to be heard map wide from both Killer and Survivor perspectives
- Fixed an issue that caused improper camera placement when spectating the Killer in a Kill Your Friends lobby
- Fixed an issue that caused missing audio when The Doctor landed a successful hit
- Fixed an issue that caused stretched polygons when sacrificing a Survivor on a hook with a RBT on their head
- Fixed an issue that caused the Map item reading audio to loop indefinitely when spectating a Survivor who depletes the Map charges
- Fixed an issue that caused the bear trap not to animate when The Trapper stepped in a bear trap while carrying a Survivor
- Fixed an issue that caused the framerate to drop below 30 FPS in a specific area of The Game map
- Fixed an issue that caused the incorrect Offering bonus to display when another player uses a bonus Bloodpoint Offering
- Fixed an issue that caused the item charges to continue to deplete upon failing a skill check
- Fixed an issue that caused the loud noise indicator not to appear for the Killer when too far away from an unhook
- Fixed an issue that caused the report icon not to appear immediately after a successful report
- Fixed an issue that caused the reverse bear trap to continue beeping for other players when a Survivor died at the exit
- Fixed an issue that caused unknown characters to appear when the host of a Kill Your Friends returned to lobby in Thai, Simplified and Tradition Chinese
- Fixed an issue that made it impossible to cleanse a totem in the Ironworks of Misery map
- Fixed an issue that made it nearly impossible to see Survivor auras when using the Wraith’s “All Seeing” – Mud add-on
- Fixed multiple prestige issues that were either generating a level 50 web at level 1, abusing the UI to Prestige low level characters, or characters randomly Prestiging unwantedly
Minor localization improvements. English only.
What do you think? Are you going to see about getting into Howling Grounds, or are you going to sit this one out? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to follow Don’t Feed the Gamers on Twitter to stay informed of the latest gaming and entertainment news 24 hours a day! For more Lunar news from recent weeks, check out these next few links below:
Eric Hall2712 Posts
Phone-browsing Wikipedia in one hand and clutching his trusty controller in the other, the legendary Eric Hall spreads his wealth of knowledge as a writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. Be sure to catch his biweekly "Throwback Thursday" segment for a nostalgic look at trivia from the past.