Red Dead Online Adds Golden Armor Event, New Showdown Modes, and More
The wild west never sleeps and Rockstar Games is seemingly just as restless with their continuous updates for Red Dead Online. Following last week’s implementation of anti-griefing measures, the open world cowboy simulator has now announced a bevy of modes coming soon to the game. Next week will see a set of activities introduced such as a shiny new Golden Armor event, a host of fresh Showdown Modes, a varied assortment of new loot.
The main attraction of the update is a Free Roam Event called “Fool’s Gold,” a new mode in which players compete to see which desperado can don a set of goofy Golden Armor the longest. Also included is the addition of Fishing Challenges, a set of trials aimed at testing frequent-reelers in varied aspects of their fish-catching prowess.
Of course, those looking at more bullet-laden challenges can set their sights on the several debuting Showdown Modes or take the new Target Races mode for a ride. Loot will see a update as well, adding a wide range of customizable clothing and a new set of weapons in the form of a high-capacity Evans Repeater rifle and the double-barrelled badassery of the Rare Shotgun.
Those playing on PlayStation 4 will see their usual addition of timed-exclusive content, this time bringing early access to the Open Target Races mode and a new melee weapon in the Jawbone Knife. Not exclusive to the Sony console, a bonus 20% XP will be awarded to all players who participate in activities leading up to this update’s release, which will take place this coming February 26th. A full update rundown from Rockstar can be viewed below.
- Fool’s Gold Free Roam Event – Players will compete to control an equal parts gaudy and protective suit of Golden Armor. Fight to take down the armor wearer to earn points and claim it as your own, then turn the tables and earn points for kills while wearing the armor.
- Fishing Challenges – Fishing Challenges are broken out by type, opt in to the challenge and you’ll receive all the equipment necessary to compete including the rod as well lures and bait specific to the challenge type, whether it’s crickets for a river challenge, crayfish for the swamp or worms for lakes. Then head to an appropriate body of water to take part – also, you’ll be made safe from the nuisance of trigger-happy outlaws while you are taking the challenge. Catch the highest weight total of fish to win.
- New Showdown Modes – Players and teams compete to capture and deliver bags, steal loot from each other and survive. Stay tuned for more details around Up in Smoke, Spoils of War and Plunder.
- Target Races – Players shoot targets from horseback to pass checkpoints as they race along a track to the finish line.
- B.D. and Co. is turning out the high grade, high capacity Evans Repeater rifle. The Rare Shotgun is D.D. Packenbush’s latest variation of the powerful double-barreled longarm. Sporting an antique style faded brass finish and an artfully adorned stock. Both weapons will be available via the Wheeler & Rawson Catalogue and local Gunsmiths.
New Clothing and Emotes
- Clothing – A wide range of new clothing to further customize your character – from the snake adorned Diamondback Hat to the fur trimmed Rutledge Vest – is also on the way with new Outfits, Jackets, Boots, Coats, Gloves, Hats, Vests and more. In addition to all the clothing that will be available for purchase at your leisure, keep an eye on the shops and the Catalogue for unique special items that will come and go.
- Emotes – A variety of new Emotes is also on the way – featuring everything from greets to reactions and taunts.
PS4 Early Access Content
- PlayStation 4 players will have early access to Open Target Races where you compete in an open space to take out the most targets on horseback. PS4 players will also get early access to the Jawbone Knife, a unique melee weapon with a handle artfully carved from the remains of a slain animal’s jaw, as well as a range of new clothing options and 3 new Emotes.
Bonus XP This Week
Play the Red Dead Online Beta all this week to earn 20% more XP on all activities ahead of the launch of these new updates on February 26. And be sure to look out for new bonuses, giveaways, promotions and content updates weekly, as we continue to build, balance and evolve the world of Red Dead Online.
Red Dead Online is out now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
What do you think? Are you excited to get that Golden gear in Red Dead Online, or are looking to do some relaxing fishing challenges instead? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to follow Don’t Feed the Gamers on Twitter and Facebook to be informed of the latest gaming and entertainment news 24 hours a day! For more headlines recently featured on DFTG, check out these next few news stories:
Eric Hall2214 Posts
Phone-browsing Wikipedia in one hand and clutching his trusty controller in the other, the legendary Eric Hall spreads his wealth of knowledge as a writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. Be sure to catch his "Throwback Thursday" segment for a nostalgic look at trivia from the past.