The Commodore 64 Mini Is Now Available
The age of console resurrection is upon us, with many hardware companies releasing systems of the past in a smaller form. Pre-loaded with a handful of titles, these miniature versions of consoles from yesteryear pack quite the nostalgic punch, offering gamers to either relive some fond memories or create new ones. That said, the Commodore 64 Mini has officially been released, and it brings a classic to today’s audience.
Nintendo might be seemingly dominating the tiny nostalgia boxes these days, but Retro Games Ltd. and Solutions 2 GO have thrown their hats into the ring with TheC64 Mini, which comes in at half of the size of the original Commodore 64. Including classics such as Winter Games, Jumpman, Impossible Mission II, and more, the pint-sized console is a must have for fans of the original, and those looking to see what gaming was like in the early 80’s.
“THEC64 Mini, a 50% replica of the world’s bestselling home computer that launched in 1982, comes pre-loaded with 64 classic games and THEC64 Joystick,” the company said in a press release. “Originally designed for fans of the original personal computer, THEC64 Mini brings kids and families together to play some of the best games of the neon decade with simple plug and play action. Aspiring gamers of yesteryear can revisit the past or even program their own games – just add a keyboard, and THEC64 Mini becomes a fully functional home computer complete with C64 BASIC.”
Retro Games’ Managing Director Paul Andrews said,“THEC64 Mini is a complete revival of one of the most influential computer and gaming systems, and we are eager to see parents reminisce about their childhood as they share the experience with their kids this holiday season. We brought back a mini version of the classic C64 computer as we think gamers of all ages are going to want this reimagined piece of video game and tech history.”
The Commodore 64 Mini also has a bounty of features, which can be seen below:
- Pre-loaded with all the Retro Faves: THEC64 Mini comes with 64 classic titles already installed, including: California Games, Winter Games, Impossible Mission II, Boulder Dash, Jumpman, Pitstop II, Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe, Street Sports Baseball, Summer Games II, Temple of Apshai Trilogy, Uridium, and more.
- USB Ports: The unit comes equipped with two USB ports – perfect for adding an extra joystick for multiplayer games or plugging in a keyboard to create your own programming masterpieces.
- Customized Visuals: The unit features high definition output at 720p and 60Hz via HDMI, 4:3 ratio, US/Europe display mode options, and a CRT filter for that classic look.
- Back to the Basics: Plug in a USB keyboard and use as a fully functional home computer with C64 BASIC.
- Don’t Forget to Save: For the first time, THEC64 Mini allows you to easily save your progress in games.
- Always Optimized: THEC64 Mini supports software updates via USB flash drive so players have continued access to improved and enhanced programming.
TheC64 Mini is now available for $79.99. You can learn more about the console and where to acquire it right here. Keep it tuned to Don’t Feed the Gamers as this story develops, and for other gaming goodness going on right now, check out the following:
- Destiny 2: Festival Of The Lost Begins Next Week
- Borderlands 2 VR Announced To Celebrate PlayStation VR’s Second Birthday (VIDEO)
- Star Wars Battlefront II Leak Reveals General Grievous
What say you, gamers? Will you be picking up the Commodore 64 Mini to experience the gaming of yesteryear? Which other past consoles are you hoping to see mini-fied? Sound off in the comments section below, and be sure to follow DFTG on Twitter for live gaming and entertainment news 24/7!
Eric Garrett2221 Posts
Eric is an editor and writer for Don't Feed the Gamers. When he is not staring at a computer screen filled with text, he is usually staring at a computer screen filled with controllable animations. Today's youth call this gaming. He also likes to shoot things. With a camera, of course.